#56 - Animation - Background

Because I could not find a high enough resolution texture for my space dome, I decided to try and paint the background on to the whole scene. I used the paint effects panel in Maya to paint a preset galactic texture onto the sky box in the scene. I also set the background colour to black, so that only the stars would be the difference in the the texture, rather than having grey blobs and black blobs. This is a very difficult and time consuming method of setting a background, because you have to be very careful where you position your camera and mouse in the paint panel, as you could end up painting the area directly in front of you rather than behind an object for example. It is also a very render-heavy method; I've noticed straight away the the render time is much longer than before. If it takes too long I might have to remove it and find another way to texture the space dome, as originally planned. This would be a shame because the galactic paint looks really, really nice when used correctly.



Update: I have decided to go back to using the space dome because the render time is just too long when using the paint tool, and when I tried rendering a single frame it looked awful, due to my lack of painting skills. I think it will be much safer to just try and find a high resolution texture for the space dome, even if I have to quickly make it myself.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#16 - Assignment Models - Venator Star Destroyer 1

#13 - Assignment Models - Jedi Starfighter 2

#62 - Animation - Lighting