#51 - Animation - Texturing 1

In this post I will explain how I went about texturing the Venator Star Destroyer Model. First, a bit of honesty. I could not find any suitable textures on the internet which could provide my model with the correct bumps and lines, and I simply do not have enough time at this point to look for textures for my models when there may not be any accessible to me. I certainly can't create them myself. So I have had to use simple Lamberts and Blinns for my Venator. The textures do significantly improve the appearance of the model even with just block colours. However, the Venator is always so far away from the camera that I doubt the details on the textures would be especially noticeable anyway. For now, the colours are enough.

https://hellspawnreaper.deviantart.com/art/Venator-class-Star-Destroyer-207610911


Firstly, I selected the entire model and applied a new Lambert. I changed this to a sort of yellow/beige colour, as they are in the prequel films. I then selected the raised bit running through the middle of the ship and applied a crimson Lambert. I also applied a dark grey Lambert to the side sections which tuck inside the ship slightly, and the bases of the turrets. Finally, I applied a dark grey blinn to the engines, and increased the reflectivity a bit, making them look like a shiny titanium colour. Everything else is the same beige colour, according to the various images I have used for reference.

Rendered

Unrendered

It is a shame that I am unable to apply any proper textures which would give the model a more realistic appearance, but the colours match the real ship from Star Wars and the distance from the camera helps to hide this short coming well. If I absolutely needed to apply proper textures I would have to either make them myself, or crop them from the internet, and almost 100% of the time the textures would have to be stretched and would not fit the model properly anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#16 - Assignment Models - Venator Star Destroyer 1

#13 - Assignment Models - Jedi Starfighter 2

#62 - Animation - Lighting