#36 - Assignment Models - Invisible Hand 2

Once the front half of the ship was finished I moved on to the back half. Again, I began with a cylinder, except this time instead of scaling each side individually I dragged the vertices on each line all together to match it to the size and shape of the front view schematic. The bottom of this cylinder was flat some I moved the bottom edges of the cylinder downwards, and so on all the way around. Once I had the shape right, I extruded the faces around where the hangar would go, and then target welded the outer edges back to their starting point, leaving it curved around the side of the new faces. The back now had the bump that is clearly visible around the hangar. I also simply extruded certain faces from the top and bottom of the ship to create the shape of the wing by using insert edge loop to add enough vertices to form the shape. Then, for both the top and bottom fins, I extruded up again, then extruded the new faces outwards, then up again, and moulded it into the right shape by dragging the vertices.

I also went back and deleted the towers I had made, replacing them with long, thin cylinders of varying sizes to look like communication spires, as the towers just looked awful.


To connect the front and the back of the ship I simply dragged some of the vertices from the back over the front, to create the sort of cone shapes that are seen on the schematic. These are not exactly the right shape, but they are definitely close enough. I could not afford to add extra vertices in just to curve it a little bit, when they would be hidden inside the front of the ship anyway. It would also risk distorting what's already there.


The back of the ship turned out to be much easier to create than the front, and I think it looks much more like the exact shape of the Invisible Hand than the front does. Once again, the symmetry tool was very useful for saving time, as I could edit both sides of the ship at once. I am concerned that I cannot add enough details in, but there literally are none for the ship is supposed to be totally smooth all the way around, unlike the Venator destroyer which has turrets and bumpers around it. Hopefully textures will make it look much more interesting. I have yet to add in the hangar and the engines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#16 - Assignment Models - Venator Star Destroyer 1

#13 - Assignment Models - Jedi Starfighter 2

#62 - Animation - Lighting