#14 - Assignment Models - Jedi Starfighter 3

I was planning to create the lasers near the front of the ship next, however I faced a lot of problems before being able to complete them. Firstly, I realised that despite what was said in post #13, there was still quite a bit to be done on the main body of the ship, mainly near the top at the back. I was able to easily use the multi-cut tool to add in some vertices and move them to create the shape of the seam where the cockpit would detach and re-attach when opened, and I planned to add the cockpit in as a separate object. However, I ended up with some bad geometry at the back, and whenever I tried to use a boolean difference to create space for the lasers, it would add in some extra lines at the back the first time, and delete the entire object the second.

I tried using the delete history option, which was suggested on Google, but this did not work. Ultimately, I had to delete the very top part of the cockpit behind where the glass would go, and add some connections in around it, before it would let me use the boolean difference tool to remove a cylindrical shape on either side of the ship near the front, where the lasers will go.

I also then realised that I had lots of black faces where it seemed to be missing the actual faces, and then lots of random edges were appearing, and the faces were crossing over each other. For this reason, I have decided to get rid of that bit completely on the body and add it in with the cockpit as a separate object instead, before grouping them.


Once I finally had the shape fixed and the boolean difference tool working, I instantiated a primitive cylinder and used the multi-cut tool to add a vertex on each line moving towards the center on the top face at 20% (holding shift for the snap tool). I then extruded all the faces inside the new ring, then repeated the last step but at 50% of the new edges on the extruded cylinder, making a thinner barrel as shown in the image. I then duplicated this object and slotted the two lasers into the gaps I made earlier.



It would have been much more efficient if I had left a hole at the top-back of the ship to add in a new object which I could shape more easily, rather than trying to extrude and connect so many different faces only to end up with a mess. A bit of time was wasted but at least now I can add that cockpit object in and end up with a more efficient model.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#16 - Assignment Models - Venator Star Destroyer 1

#13 - Assignment Models - Jedi Starfighter 2

#62 - Animation - Lighting